Tuesday, March 07, 2006

How do you feel?

I know some people say the devil is in the details.

While I am not sure about that, I am sure that the devil is in the distortions. He loves to take the truth and twist it.

I've been thinking about that alot lately specifically in regards to feelings.
Years ago, there was a philosophy called Stoicism. Now I'm no expert, but I think bottom line it had something to do with denying one's feelings. If it didn't, there are plenty of people who do think that; that the more spiritual you are the less you'll feel.

Today, there are probably more people who go to the opposite extreme. Feelings are their everything. It's become standard for people to use how they feel as the final authority in their life, so standard that nobody even questions it.

In fact, I can't tell you how many times I've heard people use the old phrase, "I feel..." as an argument stopper. You'll be in the middle of a discussion, thinking things through, and then they'll pull that statement out and you know no matter how much more there is to say, in their eyes, you are done. When they say that, they mean I'm ready for you to be done talking.

And they are not unusual.

I mean, think about it.

In our culture:

Feelings are used as a basis for one's actions.

Feelings are used as an explanation for one's actions.

Feelings are regarded as the key to understanding one's problems.

Feelings are viewed as the solution to one's problems.

But what does the Bible say? In the next few blogs, I want to bounce off an article by David Powlison on the subject, and consider more carefully what the Bible teaches about feelings.

No comments: