Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I can not forget...

I'm amazed at my ability to forget.

I mean, my wife Marda will call me at work and ask me to bring me something home for her (and by the way, she knows to call me just before I leave) and yet even then, even if she calls me five minutes before I come home, I can't tell you how often I forget.

You know what I have to do if I'm going to remember?

I have to take action right away, immediately after she calls. I have to get up, go out and get whatever she wants and put it right there on my desk in front of my face so I don't forget. (And if I'm being honest - that doesn't always work.)

The same is true when it comes to God's Word.

We hear the Word every Sunday, yet we often have forgotten what we heard by Thursday. O.k., let's be honest, Monday.

It doesn't have to be like that.

We can remember God's Word. It may not be easy, but if God's Word is important to you, you are going to do whatever it takes to get it's truths into your minds.

A suggestion?

On Monday morning open your Bible to whatever passage you are studying in church. Read the verses out loud. Then look at the first word and ask yourself, what does that mean? Go through the verses phrase by phrase.

And then on Tuesday, you get up and you open your Bible to whatever passage we are studying and you read the verses out loud, think about the meaning of the phrases, and ask what difference do these truths make in my life?

Then on Wednesday, you get up and open your Bible and you ask yourself what specific ways am I failing to obey this passage? What practical difference should this passage make in my life?

On Thursday you come up with a plan.

Friday, share it with someone else.

Remembering God's Word isn't rocket science, it just requires desire.

What's your plan?

No comments: